Over 30 Billion Content Are Shared on Facebook Monthly, Over 639.8 GB Data Transferred Every Minute
There’s 639.8GB of data being transferred over the internet every minute, according to the infographic released by Intel.
That means in just one minute, more than 204 million emails are sent. Amazon rings up about $83,000 in sales. Around 20 million photos are viewed and 3,000 uploaded on Flickr. At least 6 million Facebook pages are viewed around the world. And more than 61,000 hours of music are played on Pandora while more than 1.3 million video clips are watched on YouTube.
On a monthly basis, there are over 30 billion pieces of content being shared on Facebook.
It’s fascinating how people willingly share information over the internet and through social media.
Motivations for Sharing and Types of Persona
According to The New York Times’ “Psychology of Sharing” (PDF), there are 6 different personas of sharer. These personas are defined by their emotional motivations, desired presentation of self, role of sharing in life, and how valuable it is to the individual be the first to share. These personas with some keywords to describe each are as follows:
1. Altruist: These sharers are helpful, reliable, thoughtful, connected, and use email to share.
2. Careerist: These sharers are intelligent business networkers and are more likely to share content on LinkedIn.
3. Hipster: Less likely than other sharers to use email for sharing content, these sharers are creative, young and popular. They consume content that is on the cutting edge and care about defining their identity.
4. Boomerangs: These sharers share information to get a reaction and to feel validated. They are empowered by social media and tend to use both Twitter and Facebook
5. Connectors: creative, relaxed, thoughtful, making plans, uses both email and Facebok to share information.
6. Selectives: These sharers are resourceful, careful, and thoughtful. They share content that is informative and also use email to share content with individuals.
Emotions Being Provoked or Awaken When People Share
According to The Social Physio, there 7 major emotions trigger people to share.
• MAKE PEOPLE SMILE (Humor)
• INFORM (Useful)
• SHOW OFF (First to know! FIRST!)
• JOLT (Shock Value)
• INSTIGATE (Controversy)
• CONFORM (Need to Belong)
• BECAUSE THEY HAVE TO OR ELSE (Fear)
What Marketers Need to Know and How to Get More Shares
When marketers have a better understanding of the the motivational forces behind sharing, it’s easier to craft campaigns and be able to provide meaningful conversations and experience to the target audience hence producing better engagement.
Content that gets shared are not only those that evoke the emotions mentioned above but are also consisted of elements which were outlined by Courtney Seiter on her article 15 Strategies To Get More Shares For Your Content.
1. Interview Influencers
2. Ask For Ideas
3. Reference Others
4. Share Strategically
5. Get Noticed When You Share
6. Make A List
7. Form Alliances
8. Join Communities
9. Ask Nicely
10. Write Guest Posts
11. Reward Sharers
12. Get Personal
13. Get To The Good Stuff
14. Make It Visual
15. Use Psychology
Another option for marketers to look into is the ability to gamify the sharing process in the form of badges. In the research Badges in Social Media: A Social Psychological Perspective, it was explained that:
“Representing achievements as badges or trophies is a standard practice in online gaming. Awarding badges has also become a key ingredient in “gamifying” online social media experiences. Social systems such as Foursquare, StackOverflow, and Wikipedia have popularized badges as a way of engaging and motivating users”.
Having an understanding of reasons why people share, what makes them share more and banking on that knowledge helps every marketer to optimize every campaign, boost success rate and sales propensity.